Because what you eat affects how you feel overall, it’s important to know how certain foods affect your body. Let us help you get to know the therapeutic and nutritional values of the food you are consuming. Below is the breakdown of one of our more popular winter dishes: Italian Sausage Soup.
- Our sausages are locally sourced from Lynn Valley Meats which means that they are handled less and are more affordable which in turn are better for the environment.
- They are soy-free, msg-free, gluten-free and lactose-free which are the top food allergens.
- They are also free of nitrites. Nitrites and nitrates are naturally occurring substances in food. They are important to certain chemical reactions in the body. However, they can react with other compounds to form cancer-causing substances. This reaction causing cancer is more likely to occur when there is protein present. Therefore, it is wise not to eat meats with nitrates and nitrites, especially the synthetic versions.
- High in iron, an essential mineral that helps transport oxygen throughout the body. It also helps with proper liver functions and maintain healthy cells, skin, hair and nails.
- High in calcium which aids in preventing bone loss.
- High in dietary fiber which aids in digestion and elimination.
- High in Vitamin K which is necessary for blood clotting and normal bone health.
- Rich in Vitamin A and C which helps with eye health, metabolism and immune system functions.
- Has powerful antioxidant properties such as carotenoids and flavonoids which help protect against various types of cancers.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties which help fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune diseases.
- A great detoxifier for the body and keeps the liver healthy with it’s sulfur and fiber content.
*The Difference with Cooked and Raw
Kale, along with other cruciferous vegetables contain a compound called isothhiocyanates, which appear to block the body from absorbing iodine needed for proper thyroid function. Insufficient iodine in the thyroid produce an abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland called goiter.
Kale is considered to be goitrogens (causing the thyroid to enlarge) when eaten raw. When kale is cooked, there is no issue with thyroid. However, it is still okay to eat kale in the raw form. It’s all about balance!
- Rich in beta-carotene, Vitamin C, B-complex Vitamins, iron and phosphorus which are excellent immune boosters. Beta-carotene and phosporus helps with eye and heart health.
- It also fights cancers, specifically intestines, colons, kidneys and other internal organs.
- Has antioxidant properties that help defend the body
- Has anti-inflammatory properties which help cure both internal and external inflammation. Very helpful for those suffering with arthritis.
- It’s aroma is effective in curing congestion in the nose, bronchi and lungs and can give relief to those with asthma.
- Has a higher fiber content than regular potatoes which faclitate s digestion.
- Effective in regulating blood sugar levels, helping the pancreas secrete proper levels of insulin
- Has chromium which helps in regulating blood sugar
- Has anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiviral properties that help heal infections
- The richest dietary source of phytonutrient quercetin which has antioxidant properties that helps prevent cancer, lowers cholesterol, fights asthma, chronic bronchitis, hay fever, diabetes and atherosclerosis.
- High in sulfur which helps with liver function
- Most importantly, it is the heart’s best friend for it lowers total blood cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. It also helps thin the blood and slows down blood clotting.
- It is advisable to eat onions, both raw and cooked for those having cardiovascular problems.
- High in the anti-stress mineral magnesium which helps keep blood pressure at normal level and keeps muscles relaxed.
- High in phosphorus that helps strengthen bones when combined with its calcium content.
- Has antiviral and antibacterial properties found in the lauric acid component of coconut milk.
- Has selenium which acts as an antioxidant, helping reduce free radicals that cause joint inflammation (arthritis).
- Contains manganese which helps metabolize glucose in the body
*Doesn’t coconut milk have high fat content?
Coconut milk may be high in saturated fat but this type of fat helps raise good cholesterol levels. It is easy for the body to metabolize the fat in coconut milk which helps lower overall cholesterol levels in the long run. The fatty acids found in coconut milk may improve immune function and reduce heart disease. It can also help improve skin, nails and hair health.
Grass-Fed Beef Stock
- Grass-fed beef are happy cows and are naturally leaner than grain-fed beef.
- Grass-fed beef has more omega-3s than grain-fed beef.
- Grass-fed beef has the recommended ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 ratio (1:3)
- Our bodies cannot make omega-3 Fatty Acids, they are essential for normal growth and play an important role in prevention and treatment of cancer, hypertension, heart disease, arthritis and other inflammatory & autoimmune disorders.
- Contains Vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids such as beta-carotene) which helps protect the cells lining of body structures which include blood vessels.
- Has antioxidant properties to fight free radical damage. This helps prevent cholesterol in blood from oxidizing, atherosclerosis, heart attacks and stroke.
- Has antibacterial properties and contains DNA-protecting flavonoids.
- Rich in Vitamin K which promote bone growth, maintain bone density and produces blood clotting proteins.
- Has antioxidant properties that help protect cells from free radicals.
- Has antibacterial properties.
- When blended in soup, thyme’s essential oils help increase circulation and help keep the body warm. The oils also include antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Contains antioxidant phenols and flavonoids that helps protect DNA against oxidative damage.
- Stimulates the tastes buds and alerts the stomach to increase the secretion of hydrochloric acid, aiding in better digestion.
- Has antioxidant and antibacterial effects.
- It’s outer layer stimulates the breakdown of fat cells which provides the body with energy and helps with weight maintenance.
Celtic Sea Salt
- Includes a wide range of naturally occurring essential minerals.
- Supplies the body with over 80 vital trace minerals which are natural electrolytes that give the body it’s positive electric charge.
- Has no additives!
Overall, this soup will provide you with vitamins, minerals and antioxidant-rich properties that will boost immune system and protect your heart. A soup for those who want optimal health!